I would like to see a course on ...

Course on .NET Localization

I would love to see a course on localization. Best practices, gotchas, aspx, cshtml, javascript, etc.

651 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Patrick ConnellyPatrick Connelly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mohammad MMohammad M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it is important that this course only focuses on one technology like only ASP.NET MVC or only Windows Forms or WPF or Sharepoint not all four in one single course.
        By focusing on only technology for example ASP.NET MVC, there should be a good chance that you will get all areas within that technology and where all areas are thoroughly explained.
        The other technologies like WinForms, WPF and Sharepoint and others, should have their own courses.

• John ReillyJohn Reilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be good if this course covered Globalize. (Particularly given the changes currently being made to it)

• AbdellaAbdella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this course include how to have the selected language whether it be english, chinese or arabic or anything else have its language code embedded into the url. For example if the user has chosen arabic I would like to have the ar language parameter inside the url, in order to gain the seo benefits and so forth for other languages en for english and zn for chinese.

• Eduardo Martin BezoldEduardo Martin Bezold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also interesting. I have tried to customize the default implementation to get resources from DB. Is it only possible by override the Default ResourceProviderFactory? Shouldn't be easier to override just the ResourceProvider? Why is ResourceReader a sealed class that you can't customize?
        I think it is a very interesting study area

• Mohammad MMohammad M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to see a MVC course specifically about localization and multilingualism that takes widely different cultures/languages like english/arabic. And which also takes jquery/ajax into consideration.

• Phil BeesonPhil Beeson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this course extended to WinForms and WPF, with an introduction module that I can show to marketing & managers so that they can appreciate it's not just about changing a bunch of strings!

Ideally would include:
        Differentiation between internationalisation and localisation.
        Techniques for each technology (WinForms / WPF & Silverlight / WebForms / MVC)
        Tools for the job
        Working with translators (issues, file formats etc)
        LTR & RTL input handling
        Issues relating to Eastern scripts (& non-latin based locales)

Feedback and Knowledge Base