I would like to see a course on ...

advanced javascript.

I'm speaking about things that are not that trivial in javascript but has use, like the "call" and "apply" use.

810 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Avi LibermanAvi Liberman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Justin HarrisonJustin Harrison shared a merged idea: Advanced JavaScript  ·   · 

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Elijah ManorElijah Manor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just turned in a course... Fixing Common JavaScript Bugs. I come at the topic from the reverse where I show a piece of buggy code and then go into what is wrong and why.

Some topics I cover are the rules for Automatic Semicolon Insertion, the rules for how values are coerced when using the == comparison, 4 different techniques to control the `this` implicit parameter, explain what hoisting is and how it can be different when declaring functions, how to property inherit using the pseudo-classical pattern, talk about ES5 array methods and polyfills, talk about the benefits of strict mode and a gotcha to watch out for, a gotcha with trailing commas, discuss reserved words, show strange things about numbers, reveal issues you may run into when checking types, talk about the importance of truthy/falsey, show fake function overloading, describe when to use a closure, talk about being careful with the `arguments` implicit parameter, describe how to be careful about the global namespace, show various ways converting from one type to another, describe weirdness with type wrappers, and others...

We all make mistakes. This course will hopefully help you not make the same mistakes I have ;)

I've submitted the course. It is being reviewed and will hopefully be published soon.

• Gregorio CampoverdeGregorio Campoverde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@John Papa Its July 29th dont see any essentials ??? Just saying lol but would be great to have it soon. Been waiting for this.

• Gregorio CampoverdeGregorio Campoverde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is long over due. I like Jquery but we have to get some advanced vanilla JS courses here. Lynda.com has them so why doesnt Pluralsight.

• John PapaJohn Papa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am working on a course that covers a lot of good javascript practices. Should be out by June 1 +/-.

It is tentatively titled "JavaScript Essentials"

Feedback and Knowledge Base